As the next-generation Logstash Forwarder, Filebeat tails logs and quickly
sends this information to Logstash for further parsing and enrichment or to
Elasticsearch for centralized storage and analysis.
A lightweight, open source shipper for log file data. As the
next-generation Logstash Forwarder, Filebeat tails logs and quickly sends this
information to Logstash for further parsing and enrichment or to Elasticsearch
for centralized storage and analysis.
Filebeat can be added to any principal charm thanks to the wonders of being
a subordinate charm. The following usage example will deploy an ubuntu
log source along with the elk stack so we can visualize our log data.
juju deploy ~elasticsearch-charmers/bundle/elk-stack juju deploy xenial/filebeat juju deploy xenial/ubuntu juju add-relation filebeat:beats-host ubuntu juju add-relation filebeat logstash
Deploying the minimal Beats formation
If you do not need log buffering and alternate transforms on data that is
being shipped to ElasticSearch, you can simply deploy the 'beats-core' bundle
which stands up Elasticsearch, Kibana, and the known working Beats
juju deploy ~containers/bundle/beats-core juju deploy xenial/ubuntu juju add-relation filebeat:beats-host ubuntu juju add-relation topbeat:beats-host ubuntu
Changing what is shipped
By default, the Filebeat charm is setup to ship everything in:
If you'd rather target specific log files:
juju config filebeat logpath /var/log/mylog.log
Testing the deployment
The applications provide extended status reporting to indicate when they are
This is particularly useful when combined with watch to track the on-going
progress of the deployment:
watch juju status
The message for each unit will provide information about that unit's state.
Once they all indicate that they are ready, you can navigate to the kibana
url and view the streamed log data from the Ubuntu host.
juju status kibana --format=yaml | grep public-address
Navigate to http://<kibana-ip>/ in a browser and begin creating your
Scale Out Usage
This bundle was designed to scale out. To increase the amount of log storage and
indexers, you can add-units to elasticsearch.
juju add-unit elasticsearch
You can also increase in multiples, for example: To increase the number of
Logstash parser/buffer/shipping units:
juju add-unit -n 2 logstash
To monitor additional hosts, simply relate the Filebeat subordinate:
juju add-relation filebeat:beats-host my-charm
- Charles Butler Chuck@dasroot.net
- Matthew Bruzek email@example.com
- Tim Van Steenburgh firstname.lastname@example.org
- George Kraft email@example.com
- Rye Terrell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Konstantinos Tsakalozos email@example.com
- (string) Topic name. Format strings are allowed. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/master/kafka-output.html#_literal_topic_literal
- (int) Maximum number of bytes a single log event can have. Default 10MB
- (string) A comma separated list of kafka output hosts in addition to those from relations.
- (boolean) Add a prospector to ship logs from Kubernetes pods
- (string) Expert setting topics filter. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/master/kafka-output.html#_literal_topics_literal
- (string) Space seperated list of key:value that the prospector will assign as field to each beat
- (string) The status of service-affecting packages will be set to this value in the dpkg database. Valid values are "install" and "hold".
- (string) Space separated log paths to monitor. Can contain wildcards.
- /var/log/*.log /var/log/*/*.log
- (boolean) Send filebeat logs to syslog https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/master/configuration-logging.html#_literal_to_syslog_literal
- (int) Defines the buffer size every harvester uses when fetching the file
- (string) A list of regular expressions to match the lines that you want Filebeat to exclude. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/5.3/configuration-filebeat-options.html#exclude-lines
- (string) Space separated list of extra deb packages to install.
- (string) Private SSL key data (base64 encoded) for connecting security to logstash.
- (string) Public SSL certificate data (base64 encoded) for connecting securely to logstash.
- (string) A comma separated list of logstash output hosts in addition to those from relations.
- (string) repository key
- (string) apt repository to fetch beats from
- deb https://artifacts.elastic.co/packages/5.x/apt stable main
- (string) A list of regular expressions to match the files that you want Filebeat to ignore. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/5.3/configuration-filebeat-options.html#exclude-files