Provides a kubernetes api endpoint, scheduler for managing containers.
Kubernetes Master Charm
The Kubernetes Juju charms enable you to run Kubernetes on all the cloud
platforms that Juju supports.
A Kubernetes deployment consists of several independent charms that can be
scaled to meet your needs
Etcd is a key value store for Kubernetes. All persistent master state
is stored in
Flannel is a
software defined networking
component that provides individual subnets for each machine in the cluster.
Docker is an open platform for distributing applications for system administrators.
The controlling unit in a Kubernetes cluster is called the master. It is the
main management contact point providing many management services for the worker
The servers that perform the work are known as minions. Minions must be able to
communicate with the master and run the workloads that are assigned to them.
Deploying the Development Focus
To deploy a Kubernetes environment in Juju :
juju deploy cs:~kubernetes/trusty/etcd juju deploy cs:trusty/flannel-docker juju deploy cs:trusty/docker juju deploy local:trusty/kubernetes-master juju deploy local:trusty/kubernetes juju add-relation etcd flannel-docker juju add-relation flannel-docker:network docker:network juju add-relation flannel-docker:docker-host docker juju add-relation etcd kubernetes juju add-relation etcd kubernetes-master juju add-relation kubernetes kubernetes-master
Deploying the recommended configuration
Use the 'juju quickstart' command to deploy a Kubernetes cluster to any cloud
supported by Juju.
The charm store version of the Kubernetes bundle can be deployed as follows:
juju quickstart u/kubernetes/kubernetes-cluster
Note: The charm store bundle may be locked to a specific Kubernetes release.
Alternately you could deploy a Kubernetes bundle straight from github or a file:
juju quickstart https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/master/cluster/juju/bundles/local.yaml
The command above does few things for you:
- Starts a curses based gui for managing your cloud or MAAS credentials
- Looks for a bootstrapped deployment environment, and bootstraps if
required. This will launch a bootstrap node in your chosen
deployment environment (machine 0).
- Deploys the Juju GUI to your environment onto the bootstrap node.
- Provisions 4 machines, and deploys the Kubernetes services on top of
them (Kubernetes-master, two Kubernetes minions using flannel, and etcd).
- Orchestrates the relations among the services, and exits.
Now you should have a running Kubernetes. Run
--format=oneline to see the address of your kubernetes-master unit.
For further reading on Juju Quickstart
Go to the Getting started with Juju guide
for more information about deploying a development Kubernetes cluster.
$ juju status kubernetes-master | grep public public-address: 22.214.171.124 $ export KUBERNETES_MASTER="126.96.36.199"
For you convenience this charm supports changing the version of kubernetes binaries.
This can be done through the Juju GUI or on the command line:
juju set kubernetes version=”v0.10.0”
If the charm does not already contain the tar file with the desired architecture
and version it will attempt to download the kubernetes binaries using the gsutil
Congratulations you know have deployed a Kubernetes environment! Use the
to interact with the environment.
- (string) The initial user for the kubernetes basic authentication file.
- (string) The ssl certificate to use for tls communication to the Kubernetes api server. If this value is empty a self signed certificate and key will be generated.
- (string) The password for the kubernetes basic authentication. If this value is empty, a password will be generated at random for the username.
- (string) The kubernetes release to use in this charm. The binary files are compiled from the source identified by this tag in github. Using the value of "source" will use the master kubernetes branch when compiling the binaries.
- (string) The private key to use for tls communication to the Kubernetes api server. If this value is empty a key and certificate will be generated.